I couple of days ago, I got the opportunity to do a presentation at the GitHub Enterprise summit in Stockholm. I have used GitHub for a couple of years in Solidify’s open source projects but never done a presentation about it. There are also a couple of really nice integrations between GitHub and Azure Devops that were released recently, so I thought that this was an opportunity to do a GitHub CI/CD pipeline demo. Since not everyone could be there, here’s a summary of how to go from code to cloud with GitHub and Azure Pipelines.
We started out with a simple web application on GitHub.
Then I connected my Azure DevOps demo project to GitHub, so I could connect pull request and commits to Azure Boards and use the GitCode in Azure Pipelines.
After that, I showed a a build pipeline with the GitHub project as source and configured it for Continuous Integration. This way, the build would trigger when someone commits code to the GitHub project. I had also set up a rule, making sure a build will be triggered at a pull request and added the SonarCloud build task to include static code analysis.
After that I showed the release pipeline which is automatically triggered by the build through a Dev, a QA and to Production without any manual intervention. I also showed the possibility to add manual intervention steps between the environments.
Then I started up Visual Studio Code and opened a pull request that my colleague Mathias had created earlier. I showed the ability to review and comment the code and finally approve and merge the pull request.
Finally, the web application was published to Azure.
I hope this proved useful to you in some way. If you need any help with your GitHub and Azure DevOps integrations, feel free to comment below or send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Solidify at GitHub: https://github.com/solidify
- The GitHub Pull Request extension for Visual Studio Code: https://code.visualstudio.com/blogs/2018/09/10/introducing-github-pullrequests
- Azure Pipelines on GitHub: https://github.com/marketplace/azure-pipelines
- GitHub Pull requests and commits in Azure Boards: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/boards/github/link-to-from-github?view=azdevops
- Azure DevOps GitHub Release Task: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/tasks/utility/github-release?view=azdevops