The second update of Visual Studio and TFS 2012 is released.
The last update, TFS 2012.1 was quite difficult to install you had the enter all accounts and settings in the application tie, TFS 2012.2 has a much better installation experience, you install Update 2 and launch the upgrade wizard, you should see all your old settings pre-populated there. With the exception of entering account passwords.
You will be able to install Update 2 directly on top of RTM and run the upgrade wizard. No need to go through Update 1 first. You could also upgrade from Update 1 or just install Update 2 on a new server without installing 2012 RTM at all.
Here are my favorites:
Web based Test Case Management
With the web based Test Case Management tool you will be able to run your manual test without Microsoft Test Manager. This is perfect for stakeholders running Acceptance tests or test in environments where you can’t install the Test Manager.
Test Explorer grouping/filtering tests by Class
There is is finally a better Unit test grouping/filtering experience.
A new Team Explorer connection dialogue
A new dialogue where you can see all the TFS and GIT repositories that you have connected to.
Team Foundation Server Work item Tagging
A way to tag and filter your Work Items
GIT as Version Control for TFS service
If you use TFS Service you will be able to use GIT as a source control repository, this will probably be part of the next major version of the on premises TFS.
Customize columns in the Team Foundation Kanban Board
You will be able to customize the Kanban board directly from the Web interface.
Here are all the features:
- Web based Test Case Management
- Code Map Debugger Integration and Responsiveness Improvements
- TDD for Windows Phone Unit Tests
- Test Explorer group tests by Class
- Web based version control Explore and Compare
- Send work items in email
- Email work items from backlogs
- Web version control Improvements
- New Team Explorer Connection dialog display multiple servers, TPCs and projects
- Advanced SharePoint 2010 Load Testing
- Team Foundation Server Work Item Tagging
- Extended cross browser support in Coded UI Testing
- Microsoft SharePoint 2013 support in Coded UI Testing
- Test Explorer test details improvements for Coded UI Tests
- Improvements in Windows Store Applications Unit Testing
- Test Explorer test playlists
- Symbol Loading improvements for IntelliTrace and Profiler
- While not technically part of Update 2: Git as version control on Team Foundation Service
- Fakes now available in Visual Studio Premium
- Coded user interface testing support for Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7
- Enable adding attachments to test outcomes in web based test case management
- Enable pausing and resuming test execution in web based test case management
- The ability to clone test cases in Microsoft Test Manager
Read more here at the Team Foundation Server Team blog
Download it here